Many Paducah ‘firsts’ make for interesting reading! The first brick house was built in 1826. The first general store opened the same year, on the northeast corner of 1st and Broadway. The first board of health came along in 1833, the first theatre in 1834, and the first hospital in 1849. It was the Marine Hospital. The first mayor was elected in 1856, and his name was Jesse Gardner. And the first motorized firetruck, a 1913 LaFrance, was bought second hand from the City of St Louis in 1920, and is on display at the Market House Museum.