Paducah has long been a town comprised of persons with many individual talents. It has also been home to many important businesses and industries. Through photographs, artifacts, and exhibits, Paducah's history once again comes alive at the William Clark Market House Museum.
For the discerning shopper, the museum has a wonderful gift shop! Select from books on history, stationery and note cards, porcelain collectibles, items relating to the era of the American Revolution, Civil War, or Lewis and Clark. We carry books and puzzles, and are a source for educational games for youth and teens. And we always carry postcards, tee shirts and souvenir items for our out of town guests.
All of the superb stained glass and elaborate gingerbread woodwork that frames the interior of the museum was formerly located in the Dubois-Robertson drugstore established in 1876. It later became the List drug store and was operated by the List family for over 40 years. A descendant of the original owner graciously donated the entire store interior and the funds required to move it to its present location. The oak woodwork is a beautiful example of Eastlake architecture.
The collection and preservation of quality Paducah artifacts, especially those that underscore the town's rich historical past, are the primary goals of the museum. Today over 4,000 square feet of rotating exhibits and displays are offered for the viewing pleasure of our guests. New artifacts arrive and are continually added to the collection to keep the museum growing and serving the community.