Paducah Dairies of Long Ago
Paducah has always had dairies because of the access to good water, green grass, and ample farmland. One of the earliest dairies was the Baumer Brothers Dairy, listed in 1886 as being located in the 800 block of Old Mayfield Road. But by 1894, Bell Dairy was a competitor right up the same road. Later, in 1900, a privateer dairyman named James Moors was also in the neighborhood.
Cunningham's Dairy was run by E.B. Cunningham. His catchy motto was, "a knowing mother will have no other." Cloverbloom Dairy, C.C. Wharton Dairy, and Griffith Dairy were also early contenders for the milk market business. Rotterging Dairy, Rushing Dairy, Huston Crick Dairy and C. Trice Dairy were also found in early Paducah publications, some as early as 1894.
In the early 1900's, dairymen listed in Bennett’s Paducah City Directory were Jesse and Richard Bell at RFD No 2, Charles Black on Old Benton Road, J T Broyles, at RFD No 3, O.J. Coleman on Blandville Road, and I. M. Derrington. at RFD No 4. G. W. Graves was listed as being located on Broadway, and Victor Grief was doing business out on Clinton Road. George Husbands was tending the cows on his farm on Old Benton Road, L. T. Polk and G T Moss were milking their pampered bovines for a profit on RFD No 3.
Other persons listed in the dairy business in the 1894 Directory were W P Riley, Barbara Weitlauf, William Griffith, and Charles Russell.
Among other, later dairies were City Consumer's. It had started as a brewery in 1919, but switched to a dairy when Prohibition, and the Volstead Act, caused liquor to be banned. In 1920, seven members of the firm organized City Consumer's, which sold milk, ice cream, and other products. The first pasteurization of milk in Paducah was done by this firm. Selling the Goldbloom Brand, it was sold to Midwest Dairies in 1845. All three were located at 10th and Monroe.
Dudley Dairy was located at 123 North 10th Street, as found in a 1941 viewbook. Sunshine Dairy, known to most baby boomers, was located close to the intersection of Blandville and Olivet Church Road. The made all the milk deliveries for Paducah’s syndicated "Romper Room" show each weekday morning. Its symbol was an orange rising sun.
Other dairies were Hunt, Woodlawn, Word, Hilltop, Dexter, Trice, Miller, and Peyton Dairies, which advertised "Golden Jersey Milk" because of its rich butterfat content. Massac Dairy later became Edgewood Dairy, located at the end of Broadway at the intersection of 28th Street, now Joe Clifton Drive. It was known as a model, sanitized dairy with concrete stalls and ultra hygienic milking standards. Sadly, it burned on Friday, March 19, 1926.City Consumer's Dairy helped its competitor by serving its customers during the weeks following.